The U Card FAQ

If you are receiving your first U Card, you will need to bring an approved primary form of photo ID.

If you are receiving a replacement U Card, you can bring an approved primary form of photo ID or two different types of approved secondary forms of ID.

To see the list of approved forms of ID, please go to the 'Getting Your U Card' page.

No, the U Card Office does not control or assign door access. Contact your supervisor, building front desk staff or professor to request access.

If your card was made in 2008 or later, then yes. If your card was made prior to 2008 then your U Card may not have a smart chip in it.

Visit the 'About Your U Card' page to see the U Card components and where you can locate the date that your U Card was created and/or where your smart card number is located.

The cards actually cost over $25 to produce, but we subsidize that cost. Inside of the card is smart chip technology and wiring that runs through the entire card; on the back is a magnetic strip. All of these functions work together to grant individuals access into buildings and also access to all of the 5 separate accounts on the U Card. 

Your U Card could become demagnetized by allowing it to be in close proximity with other magnetic objects  (large magnetics, medical equipment, etc.).

Having Gopher GOLD value gives students access to print things from computer labs/libraries (it is the ONLY way to print). Gopher GOLD is the only way to make purchases all over campus by using a U Card. We also offer various discounts for Gopher Gold throughout the year, so students can save $ by taking advantage of these. FlexDine is tax free, but can only be used at UDS owned dining locations and C-Stores. Both of these accounts are available on the U Card automatically. You do not need to open either of these accounts. If you would like to use these accounts, you just need to fund them. More information on these accounts can be found here.

Yes. If you would like to have your preferred name printed on your U Card you will need to go to your MyU - My Info - Click The Edit Pencil By Your Name - Add A New Name - Select Preferred Name and then fill in your preferred name. If you currently have a U Card please refer to our replacement policy.

You will need to update your preferred name 24 hours prior to uploading your U Card photo. If you do not plan to upload your U Card photo be sure to update your preferred name 24 hours prior to getting your U Card at the U Card Office.

No, please hold on to your U Card and store it in a safe place where you will be able to find it. If you ever decide to come back to the University for any reason, you can still use the same U Card that you originally had and will still be subject to the replacement fee policy.

No, your U Card will never expire. The services on the card may be taken away if you leave the University (such as building access, library services, etc.) but the card itself will always be functional and be available to have services added to it again if you return. If you return to the University and you do not have your previous U Card you are subject to the replacement fee policy.

The best thing to do is deactivate your U Card, so that whoever stole it has no chance of using any of the services on the card. You can do so online here. Keep in mind that deactivating your U Card is permanent. If you have not already done so, file a police report for the theft that occurred to you. If you can provide the U Card Office staff with the police report number from your case, we will waive the $25 fee replacement fee.

No, building access will transfer over to your new U Card automatically approximately 4 hours after you have received your replacement U Card.

Wallet damage is the number one reason people have to get replacement U Cards. Keeping your U Card tucked in a tight wallet, pulling it out over and over again causes it to rub against other cards and will start to damage the card over time. Many people keep their wallets in their back pockets, which they sit on when they take a seat. This combination of pressure and heat on the wallet can also damage the U Card.  If you must keep your U Card in your wallet, the best way to keep your card protected is to store it in a Tyvek Sleeve, which we give to each person when they get a new U Card. If you have lost your Tyvek Sleeve, or would like an extra, we give them away for free at the U Card Office.

Unfortunately, once a card has been deactivated it can never be reactivated.

Take your U Card and give it to the front desk of your residence hall. They will be able to verify that you have access to the dorm and, if not, put you into the system so that you will have access in the future. If you are still having issues getting into the residential hall, you should bring your U Card into the U Card office so that our staff can run some tests on the card to check for damage.

You can deposit to your/a FlexDine account on the University Dining Services website - http://www.dining.umn.edu/MealPlansFlexDine/FlexDine.html.

The U Card Office does not manage the Meal Plan or FlexDine accounts.

If you have any questions or concerns about a FlexDine account or a Meal Plan please contact University Dining Services at [email protected] or (612) 624-0558.