ID badges

ID Badges

ID Badges for University Departments

Departmental ID Badges are not U Cards. Some University departments use Departmental ID Badges in conjunction with the U Card (official University of Minnesota ID card) though. 

University Departments can order departmental ID Badges by downloading and completing thedepartment_id_badge_request_form.xlsx

Please email [email protected] with your completed form and information indicating whether the ID badge holder or your department will be paying for the ID Badge/s.

Departmental ID Badges are $6 and include a plastic holder

Department Paying For Badges

    • Please include your EFS number on the email with the Departmental ID Badge form attached.
    • ID Badges must be picked up by the person who places the order (unless otherwise specified).
    • Please bring a valid government-issued photo ID or U Card to pick up the badges.

Department Not Paying For Badges (ID Badge Holder Pays)

    • Please make sure your ID Badge holder knows they will be charged a $6 fee for the badge when they come to the U Card Office to receive their ID badge.
    • Please make your ID badge holder aware that they will need to present a valid government-issued photo ID to receive their ID badge.

Departmental ID Badges do not have expiration dates printed on them. It is up to departments to set an internal expiration date for the Department ID Badges if they would like to. However, we will not be able to print that date on the badges.

Departmental ID Badges hold no official authentification/credential power at the University.

It is up to each department to manage the Departmental ID Badges. We do not collect or ask for Departmental ID Badges to be returned to us.

If you have questions, please contact the U Card Office Operations Manager at 612-626-9903

As of July 1st, 2014 the Security ID Badge (SID Badge) Policy and supporting Badge Management System (BMS) has been discontinued. This change impacts all SID Badge users, all centrally issued departmental guest badges, and centrally issued temporary housing cards.  No new cards should be ordered or replaced via BMS.

Units should switch to displaying the U Card. Expired SID Badges should NO longer be worn.

Once an individual switches to wearing their U Card, they should destroy their old SID card.

If for some reason the U Card does not work for your department as an ID Badge, then please review the Departmental ID Badge option.