Getting Your U Card

You will receive your first U Card from the U Card Office in Coffman Memorial Union.

You must present an approved primary form of a government issued photo ID to receive your first U Card.

You may present 2 different types of approved secondary forms of ID for a replacement U Card if you do not have an approved primary form of ID.

All forms of ID must be a hard copy or in physical form. We will not accept ID paperwork, a photo of an ID, a document on your mobile device or a photocopy of an ID.

CIS Students and Teachers - Please see information below on receiving U Cards. CIS students must receive their U Card from their CIS teacher and may not come to the U Card Office to receive a U Card.

You MUST have a primary form
of ID to receive your first U Card

Approved Primary Forms of IDs
for a First or Replacement U Card:

  • US Passport
  • US Passport Card
  • Foreign Passport
  • US State or Territory Driver’s License
  • US or State Agency ID Card
  • US Military ID Card
  • US Military Dependent’s ID Card
  • US Coast Guard Merchant Marine Card
  • Tribal Card

We will accept 2 forms of approved secondary IDs 
for a 
replacement U Card if you do not have an
approved primary form of ID

Approved Secondary Forms of IDs
for Replacement U Card
(Must provide 2 different forms):

  • High School Photo ID
  • Mail with Your Name & Address (information must match what is on file in the UMN system)
  • Social Security Card
  • Certification Letter from One Stop Student Services
  • Certified Birth Certificate

The U Card Office will no longer be producing CIS U Cards after August 1st, 2018.

 CIS students MUST receive their U Card from their CIS teacher.

Students are no longer allowed to receive their CIS U Card from the U Card Office. CIS teachers will receive their student's U Card via Fedex. Please do not come to the office.

CIS Teachers:

  • Within approximately ten business days of receiving the photos, the U Card Office will FedEx the completed U Cards and card sleeves to the CIS instructor for distribution

Upload the photos via google drive

Upload the photos and requested information via google drive and share it with ucard@umn.edu and ucardlst@umn.edu:

Please include the following in the file:

  • ALL photos for the class. Photos need to be labeled with the student's name and ID # as the file name
  • The student roster which includes the student names and UMN ID numbers (rosters must be in an Excel or Word Document file)
  • A brief note stating that the photos are for CIS 
  • Your CIS course's name
  • Your name
  • Your email and phone number
  • The high school's name 
  • Your return address (We will mail the IDs to this address)

The U Card Office must receive ALL student photos at one time and the return address to process your request.