Getting Your U Card
You will receive your first U Card from the U Card Office in Coffman Memorial Union.
You must present an approved primary form of a government issued photo ID to receive your first U Card.
You may present 2 different types of approved secondary forms of ID for a replacement U Card if you do not have an approved primary form of ID.
All forms of ID must be a hard copy or in physical form. We will not accept ID paperwork, a photo of an ID, a document on your mobile device or a photocopy of an ID.
CIS Students and Teachers - Please see information below on receiving U Cards. CIS students must receive their U Card from their CIS teacher and may not come to the U Card Office to receive a U Card.
You MUST have a primary form
of ID to receive your first U Card
Approved Primary Forms of IDs
for a First or Replacement U Card:
- US Passport
- US Passport Card
- Foreign Passport
- US State or Territory Driver’s License
- US or State Agency ID Card
- US Military ID Card
- US Military Dependent’s ID Card
- US Coast Guard Merchant Marine Card
- Tribal Card
We will accept 2 forms of approved secondary IDs
for a replacement U Card if you do not have an
approved primary form of ID
Approved Secondary Forms of IDs
for Replacement U Card
(Must provide 2 different forms):
- High School Photo ID
- Mail with Your Name & Address (information must match what is on file in the UMN system)
- Social Security Card
- Certification Letter from One Stop Student Services
- Certified Birth Certificate
CIS students MUST receive their U Card from their CIS teacher.
Students are no longer allowed to receive their CIS U Card from the U Card Office. CIS teachers will receive their student's U Card via Fedex. Please do not come to the office.
- Photos must be taken passport style. You can see all of our requirements at z.umn.edu/photoupload.
- Within approximately ten business days of receiving the photos, the U Card Office will FedEx the completed U Cards and card sleeves to the CIS instructor for distribution
Upload the photos via google drive
Please include the following in the file:
- ALL photos for the class. Photos need to be labeled with the student's name and ID # as the file name
- The student roster which includes the student names and UMN ID numbers (rosters must be in an Excel or Word Document file)
- A brief note stating that the photos are for CIS
- Your CIS course's name
- Your name
- Your email and phone number
- The high school's name
- Your return address (We will mail the IDs to this address)
The U Card Office must receive ALL student photos at one time and the return address to process your request.