About The U Card
Your U Card is your official University of Minnesota ID.
Your U Card gives you access to secured buildings on campus based on your role/status at the University. Your U Card will also give you access to different services on campus. Lastly, your U Card can be used to access accounts that are attached to your U Card. Please see the ‘Accounts’ page for more details on which accounts you may have on your U Card based on your role/status at the University.
Building Access with U Card
- Residential Halls
- Regional Fitness Center
- Secured Buildings
Added Services available with your U Card
- Regional Fitness Center (RFC)
Accounts on the U Card
- Meal plan
- Student account
Taking Care Of Your U Card
- Store your U Card in a protective sleeve or case
- Keep your U Card in a secure place
- Monitor your U Card account balances
- Carry your U card with you on campus
- Punch a hole in your U Card
- Lend your U Card to anyone
- Scratch the magnetic stripe
- Put your U Card near a magnet
U Cards do not expire, but services on them may. You can receive a free replacement U Card every 5 years. If you leave the University and return within 5 years of receiving your U Card, you will need to use the same U Card or pay a replacement fee. Exceptions to this rule would include a role change (e.g. going from student to staff), a name change, etc.