Getting Your U Card

You must present an approved primary form of a government issued photo ID to receive your first U Card.

You may present 2 different types of approved secondary forms of ID for a replacement U Card.

Would you like to submit your own photo for your U Card? Upload one here

Accepted IDs for 1st U Card or 
Replacement U Card

Approved Primary Forms of IDs:

  • US Passport
  • US Passport Card
  • Foreign Passport
  • US State or Territory Driver’s License
  • US or State Agency ID Card
  • US Military ID Card
  • US Military Dependent’s ID Card
  • US Coast Guard Merchant Marine Card
  • Tribal Card

Accepted IDs for a 
Replacement U Card

Approved Secondary Forms of IDs
(Must provide 2 different forms):

  • High School Photo ID
  • Mail with Your Name & Address (information must match what is on file in the UMN system)
  • Social Security Card
  • Certified Transcript
  • Certified Birth Certificate

1st Year Students will receive their U Card from the U Card Office during their advisement and registration session.

Transfer students will receive a U Card at their advisement and registration session. If you have a U Card from a UMN coordinate campus (Twin Cities, Rochester, Duluth, Morris), we do still ask that you get a UMN Duluth U Card as the Duluth U Card has different technology on the card.

PSEO students can receive their U Card at the U Card Office during their Orientation.

If you receive a U Card as a PSEO student and then apply and are accepted to the UMN Duluth for your Undergraduate Education, you will use the same U Card. You are only eligible for a free U Card every 5 years.

CITS students are no longer eligible to receive a U Card.

Staff and Faculty will receive their U Card at the U Card Office in Kirby Plaza.