Getting Your U Card
You will receive your first U Card from the U Card Office in Hill Hall.
You must present an approved primary form of a government issued photo ID to receive your first U Card.
You may present 2 different types of approved secondary forms of ID for a replacement U Card if you do not have an approved primary form of ID.
Approved Primary Forms of IDs:
- US Passport
- US Passport Card
- Foreign Passport
- US State or Territory Driver’s License
- US or State Agency ID Card
- US Military ID Card
- US Military Dependent’s ID Card
- US Coast Guard Merchant Marine Card
- Tribal Card
Approved Secondary Forms of IDs
(Must provide 2 different forms):
- High School Photo ID
- Mail with Your Name & Address (information must match what is on file in the UMN system)
- Social Security Card
- Certified Transcript
- Certified Birth Certificate
1st Year Students will receive their U Card from the U Card Office during Orientation.
Transfer students will receive a U Card at their Orientation. If you have a U Card from an UMN coordinate campus, we do still ask that you get a UMN Crookston U Card as the UMN Crookston U Card has different technology on the card.
PSEO students can receive their U Card at the U Card Office during their Orientation.
If you receive a U Card as a PSEO student and then apply and are accepted to the UMN Crookston for your Undergraduate Education, you will use the same U Card. You are only eligible for a free U Card every 5 years.
Students enrolled in online courses only at UMC must be registered for classes a minimum of 24 hours prior to obtaining a U Card.
Note: University entitlements are based on current status, not future status.
Obtaining Your U Card:
As an online student, you can request your U Card
- In person
- Via the U.S. Mail
- Via email
In person: You can visit our office to obtain your U Card in person. When you do, be prepared to have your picture taken. Digital photos are taken as part of the card issuance process. Also, make sure you bring a government issued photo ID, (Driver's License, State ID, Military ID, Tribal ID or passport are accepted), which must be presented at the time of issuance.
Via the U.S. Mail: Students may submit a current (taken within the last year), standard size (2"x2" up to 2 1/4" x 3 1/2"), passport quality photo (use photo quality guidelines below) and a copy of a valid government issued photo ID (Driver's License, State ID, Military ID, Tribal ID or passport). Photos and copies of government issued photo IDs can be submitted via U.S. Mail to:
Office of the Registrar (OTR)
Hill Hall 9
2900 University Avenue
Crookston, MN 56716
Via Email: Students may submit a current (taken within the last year) photo (use photo quality guidelines below) in the form of a .jpg or .jpeg file. Please include a copy of a valid government issued photo ID (Driver's License, State ID, Military ID, Tribal ID or passport) in the form of a .jpg or .jpeg file as well. Email your two photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your current mailing address. Your card will be mailed to you at this address.
- At least 600 pixels by 600 pixels or 2” x 2” photo in JPEG format
- Use of a plain white, off-white or light gray background, free of patterns, objects, textures, etc. (No trees, bricks, windows, grass, stairs, wood, doors, etc.)
- Image of face and shoulders facing forward. Do NOT zoom in on face. Leave space around the sides of your face and the top of your head
- Clear image in color without any added filters, effects or clipart.
- Use good lighting. No overexposed photos
- A clear, unobstructed, front view of the full head and shoulders. No hands can be touching the face or in the image. Eyes must be open
- A photo of the student alone in normal street attire with no hats, sunglasses, hand symbols or pets in photo (religious head coverings are acceptable)
- Recent (less than one year old)
If you are using a photo previously taken and you have to crop it down to look like the example below, please be aware cropped photos can become pixilated and will not be accepted.
Photo Example Below
Staff and Faculty will receive their U Card at the U Card Office in Hill Hall.