Students enrolled in online courses only at UMC must be registered for classes a minimum of 24 hours prior to obtaining a U Card.
Note: University entitlements are based on current status, not future status.
Obtaining Your U Card:
As an online student, you can request your U Card
- In person
- Via the U.S. Mail
- Via email
In person: You can visit our office to obtain your U Card in person. When you do, be prepared to have your picture taken. Digital photos are taken as part of the card issuance process. Also, make sure you bring a government issued photo ID, (Driver's License, State ID, Military ID, Tribal ID or passport are accepted), which must be presented at the time of issuance.
Via the U.S. Mail: Students may submit a current (taken within the last year), standard size (2"x2" up to 2 1/4" x 3 1/2"), passport quality photo (use photo quality guidelines below) and a copy of a valid government issued photo ID (Driver's License, State ID, Military ID, Tribal ID or passport). Photos and copies of government issued photo IDs can be submitted via U.S. Mail to:
Office of the Registrar (OTR)
Hill Hall 9
2900 University Avenue
Crookston, MN 56716
Via Email: Students may submit a current (taken within the last year) photo (use photo quality guidelines below) in the form of a .jpg or .jpeg file. Please include a copy of a valid government issued photo ID (Driver's License, State ID, Military ID, Tribal ID or passport) in the form of a .jpg or .jpeg file as well. Email your two photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your current mailing address. Your card will be mailed to you at this address.
- At least 600 pixels by 600 pixels or 2” x 2” photo in JPEG format
- Use of a plain white, off-white or light gray background, free of patterns, objects, textures, etc. (No trees, bricks, windows, grass, stairs, wood, doors, etc.)
- Image of face and shoulders facing forward. Do NOT zoom in on face. Leave space around the sides of your face and the top of your head
- Clear image in color without any added filters, effects or clipart.
- Use good lighting. No overexposed photos
- A clear, unobstructed, front view of the full head and shoulders. No hands can be touching the face or in the image. Eyes must be open
- A photo of the student alone in normal street attire with no hats, sunglasses, hand symbols or pets in photo (religious head coverings are acceptable)
- Recent (less than one year old)
If you are using a photo previously taken and you have to crop it down to look like the example below, please be aware cropped photos can become pixilated and will not be accepted.