University of Minnesota
U Card Office


As a student, staff or faculty member of the Twin Cities campus you are eligible for a U Card, your official University of Minnesota photo ID card.

Your first U Card can be obtained at the U Card Office. Bring an approved government issued photo ID (list below) and be prepared to have your picture taken.

Your U Card never expires, even after you leave the University. If you ever return as a student, staff or faculty member, your card will be reactivated based on your current University role status (student enrollment or staff/faculty role status). If you do not have your U Card upon returning to the University, you may be subject to a replacement card fee.

U Cards must NOT be collected by departments upon termination of employment, including student employment because of the services associated with your card. Additionally, never allow your U Card to be retained as collateral for department services.

Take good care of your U Card. A replacement fee will be assessed for replacement (lost, stolen or damaged) U Cards.

Your Eligibility Status...
Click below for your eligibility requirements and procedure to obtain your U Card.




I Don't Know My Role Status...

Acceptable forms of ID for obtaining a U Card...

First U Card
To obtain your first U Card you must bring an acceptable government issued photo ID with you to the U Card Office.

Acceptable forms of government issued photo IDs include:

-US passport
-US passport card
-Foreign passport
-US state or territory driver's license
-US federal or state agency ID card
-US military ID card
-US military dependent's ID card
-US coast guard merchant marine card
-Tribal card

(if you are under the age of 16, we will accept 2 secondary forms of ID from you for your first U Card)

Replacement U Card
To obtain a replacement U Card you may bring an acceptable form of government issued photo ID or 2 acceptable secondary forms of ID

Acceptable forms of secondary IDs include (must bring 2 different forms):

-High school photo ID card
-Mail with your name and address that matches the address in the U of MN system - verify your address at
-Social security card
-Cert. letter from One Stop Student Services
-Copy of your birth certificate

Picture of a U Card